The Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association was first registered with The United States Lawn Tennis Association in 1934. The purpose of the organization at that time was to promote tennis tournaments and junior tennis development in the Atlanta area.
ALTA started league play in 1971 with less than 1,000 members. It grew to almost 10,000 in 1975, 35,000 in 1982, over 51,000 in 1988 and 71,000 in 1992. Today ALTA has approximately 80,000 members. It has evolved from a small group of volunteers to a large non-profit corporation licensed by the State of Georgia and recognized by tennis players around the world.
Malon Courts, one of three ALTA founders in 1934.